Homedics Duo IPL Instruction Manual
QUICK START GUIDE FOR THE HOMEDICS DUO IPL
make sure the skin in the area you wish to treat is shaved. clean and dry
connect the power lead to duo and plug into the mains - the blue/white skin level indicator lights will flash on and turn off and the green status light will illuminate to indicate the power is connected.
press the <!> button to switch on the duo IPL
press the <!> button to select an appropriate level for your skin tone. It is recommended to carry out a skin test before first use on each area you wish to treat ( see page 5 for details)
Hold the Homedics Duo IPL against the treatment area, making sure the yellow treatment window is in full contact with the skin. The green status indicator will stop flashing when good skin contact is made and the duo is ready to flash.
For levels 1 - 3 (AFT FREEGLIDE'"), hold the green trigger button down and glide the duo across your skin. For levels 4 &. 5 (IPL single shot) press the green trigger button. hold the duo against the skin and wait for the flash - then move to the next treatment area
Please carefully read the full instructions and safety warnings before using Homedics Duo epilator.
WHAT ARE IPL AND AFT?
Homedics Duo is a home-use device for the permanent reduction of hair growth based on Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) and Advanced Fluorescence technology (AFT) that is found in salons across the globe. It works below the skin's surface and does not involve any cutting or pulling, reducing hair growth with minimal pain.
Homedics Duo gives you the power to fight unwanted hair growth delivering long term results for perfectly smooth skin. The combination of both Intense Pulse Light (IPL) and Advanced Fluorescence Technology (AFT) in a single device provide highly flexible treatments that can be tailored perfectly to different parts of the body and to different skin tones. Choose between Freeglide AFT which delivers up to 1 pulse per second for fast and easy treatments that are comfortable even on sensitive skin or single shot IPL treatments with the benefit of additional control when using higher power.
Please read all instructions and safety precautions carefully prior to use of Homedics Duo.
- Duo should ideally be used on the legs, underarms, bikini line, chest, stomach, arms and on the face below the cheek bones (not for use on the face by men).
- Do not use the Homedics Duo over mucous membranes i.e nose and ears.
- Do not use the Homedics Duo over piercing or any metal items such as earrings or jewellery.
- Do not use Homedics Duo on tanned skin during 4 weeks after sun exposure (more than 15 minutes in direct sunlight without protection) as this can cause serious burns or skin injury.
- Avoid more than 15 minutes of direct sun exposure for at least 2 weeks post treatment. If recently treated skin is exposed to sunlight in this period of time, make sure to apply SPF 30 or higher sunscreens.
- Do a spot test on a small patch of skin in the intended treatment area, 48 hours prior to first use of the Homedics Duo (see spot test page 4).
- Do not use Homedics Duo on naturally dark skin (see guide on box and on page 7).
- Keep out of children's reach.
- Homedics Duo is to be used for hair reduction purposes only. Do not use it for any other purpose.
- Use Homedics Duo only according to the instructions for use.
HOMEDICS DUO WARNINGS AND SAFETY PRECAUTIONS
When shouldn’t Homedics Duo be used?
- Pregnant or nursing women must avoid the use of Homedics Duo.
- Do not use the device if you have skin cancer or on areas at risk of malignancy.
- Do not use the device if you suffer from epilepsy.
- Do not use the device if you are/were under radiation therapy or chemotherapy within the past 3 months.
- Do not use the device if you have an active implant such as a pacemaker, insulin pumps, or similar devices.
- Do not use on damaged or broken skin or if you have a history of Herpes or Psoriasis outbreak in the treatment area.
- Do not use if you suffer from kelodial scar formation.
- Do not use if you have taken Tetracycline antibiotics within the last two weeks.
- Do not use if you have been taking medication with the following active ingredients within the last two weeks: Retinoids, Accutane and Retin-A.
- Do not use Homedics Duo if you are photosensitive or have other diseases related to light sensitivity.
- Do not use if you suffer from metabolic conditions, such as diabetes.
- Do not use if you have had a skin peel or other skin resurfacing procedure within the last 6 – 8 weeks.
- Do not use Homedics Duo if you were exposed to strong sunlight or an artificial tanning machine during the past 30 days.
- Do not use the device if you have dark spots such as large freckles, moles or blisters on the treatment area.
- NEVER use flammable liquids such as alcohol or acetone to clean the skin before using the device.
- Do not use the device on the face above the cheek line; around the eyes, eyebrows or eyelashes as this could cause serious eye damage.
- Do not use Homedics Duo over mucous membranes as in the nose and ears
- The device should not be used on tattoos, permanent make up and intimate body parts such as nipples, genitalia or around the anus.
- If you see extreme redness of the skin, blistering, or burns STOP USE IMMEDIATELY!
- Do not look directly at the light coming from the applicator and the lamp cartridge.
- Do not use Homedics Duo for any purpose other than hair reduction.
- Use of the device may cause temporary skin colour changes.
- Do not apply continuous pulses (one after the other) with the applicator on any one spot on your skin during treatment. Doing so causes extensive heat to build-up and may result in possible skin damage or scarring.
- Do not return to a previously treated spot until 10 seconds have passed. Doing so causes extensive heat to build-up and may result in possible skin damage or scarring.
- Do not open or repair the device as it contains dangerous electrical components which may cause physical damage.
- Do not use Homedics Duo with any additional accessories that are not part of its intended use.
- Always disconnect the power cord from the wall electrical outlet after use. Note: complete power shutdown is achieved only when the power cord is unplugged.
- Do not use Homedics Duo where it can come into contact with liquids (wet environment). This can cause electric shock.
- If the Homedics Duo is dropped into liquid, unplug it immediately. Do not remove the device from the liquid until unplugged – wait at least 2 minutes to remove. Do not use the device again, contact the customer service centre.
- Do not use the device if any parts show signs of damage. This may result in injury.
- Always keep Homedics Duo away from the hair of your head to avoid accidental burns.
- Always keep Homedics Duo away from objects other than the skin while treating (e.g. clothes, brushes, wires, cords, laces, etc) to avoid accidents.
- Do not rinse any components of the device with any kind of liquid to avoid damaging the device.
- Homedics Duo is not intended for use by persons with reduced physical, sensory or mental capabilities unless they have been instructed by a person responsible for their safety, according to the instructions for use.
- Homedics Duo can be used by children aged from 14 years and above and persons with reduced physical, sensory or mental capabilities or lack of experience and knowledge if they have been given supervision or instruction concerning use of the appliance in a safe way and understand the hazards involved. Children shall not play with the appliance. Cleaning and user maintenance shall not be made by children without supervision. The effects of use on under 18s has not been tested and is unknown.
- KEEP Homedics Duo OUT OF CHILDREN'S REACH.
Do not use Homedics Duo near bathtubs, showers, basins or other vessels containing water.
PARTS IDENTIFICATION OF HOMEDICS DUO
PRIOR TO USE OF HOMEDICS DUO
- Remove all components from the box (applicator and power adaptor).
- The replaceable lamp cartridge comes assembled to the product. Ensure it is correctly fitted.
- Plug the power cord to the applicator handset.
- Only after connecting the power cord to the applicator handset, insert the plug into the electrical outlet.
- On connecting the power, the blue/white skin level indicator lights will flash on and turn off, the green status light will then begin flashing.
The spot test is intended to determine your skins reaction to the AFT/IPL treatment and help you select the optimal energy level for each treatment area.
Do a spot test on each area you intend to treat 48 hours prior to the full treatment.
Note: If using the facial cartridge (available for purchase separately) the test should be done in a hair-free area such as below the ear or the side of the neck.
- Prior to use, make sure your skin is shaved, clean and dry (free of any residue such as powders, creams, make-up, anti-perspirants or deodorants).
NEVER use flammable liquids such as alcohol or acetone to clean the skin before using the IPL device.
- Set up the Homedics Duo device following the instructions above.
- Place the applicator treatment window on the required test area with full contact to the skin.
- The device sets itself on the lowest energy level. Deliver the first pulse, on energy level 1, by pressing the pulse button. You will see a bright flash, hear a popping noise and you may feel a mild stinging or/and heat sensation.
- Remove the applicator from the skin and place it on the next spot of the test area.
- Use the power button to increase the energy level by 1. The energy level lights will light up blue (or white for levels 4 and 5) according to the selected energy level. Deliver the second pulse, on energy level 2, by pressing the trigger button.
- Only if you feel comfortable repeat steps 5 to 6 until you have reached the maximum energy Level of 5. Stop the test once you do not feel comfortable, increasing the energy level increases the risk of adverse effects. If you see adverse effects such as severe redness or blistering stop the test immediately.
- Wait 48 hours and examine the tested area. If the skin in the test area seems normal (no response or mild redness) you can proceed with a full treatment in the highest comfortable energy level you tested.
If you see extreme redness, swelling or blistering, even in the low energy level settings do not do the full treatment in that area.
Note: Do not treat full areas in energy levels you have not tested before.
Do not treat the tested area for at least 1 week after the spot test is done. Use the table below to make a note of the energy level that suits you for different areas you wish to treat.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR USE of Homedics Duo IPL Hair Remover
N.B. It is recommended to carry out the Spot test (see above) at least 48hrs prior to treatment to choose a safe treatment level for your skin.
- Prior to use, make sure your skin is shaved, clean and dry (free of any residue such as powders, creams, makeup, antiperspirants or deodorants).
NEVER use flammable liquids such as alcohol or acetone to clean the skin before using Duo.
- Having followed Homedics Duo set-up steps above, press the power button to turn on the device. The LED indicator for level 1 will illuminate.
- Homedics Duo sets itself on the lowest energy level. Use the power button to increase the energy level to reach the level determined in the spot test and according to your convenience. The energy level lights will light up blue (AFT)/white (IPL) according to the selected level.
- Place the applicator treatment window on the required treatment area with full contact to the skin (the applicator will not trigger a pulse if there is not full skin contact and the green ‘ready’ indicator light will stop flashing but remain illuminated when the device is in good contact with the skin).
- Dependent on the energy level selected the device can be used in two ways:
Freeglide method (AFT): This is the method used on energy levels 1-3. Hold the pulse button down continuously and slowly move the device over the skin maintaining constant contact. In this mode it is necessary to repeatedly pass the device over the same area up to 5 times to ensure maximum coverage
N.B. The higher the level the slower you will need to glide the device. This is because the more energy released, the slower the pulse rate.
Single shot method (IPL): This is the recommended method to use for high energy levels 4-5. With the treatment window in contact with the skin, press the trigger button and wait for the flash. Only shoot once before moving the device to the next treatment area ensuring there are no gaps or overlaps in the treated area. Wait for the status indicator LED to stop flashing (up to 3.5 seconds) before pressing the pulse button again.
During both treatment methods you will see a bright flash, hear a popping noise and may feel a mild stinging and/or heat sensation.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all the chosen area has been treated. The product should not be used for more than 30 minutes at one time. After 30 minutes are up, switch the device off and unplug from the wall. NB: If the device is left on but not used for approximately 3 minutes it will automatically switch itself off. If this has happened, press the power button to turn the device back on.
Only use the facial adaptor to treat the face (*available for purchase separately)
Facial treatment with Homedics Duo IPL
The facial skin is a sensitive area that requires special care and caution. Make sure you follow all instructions and safety precautions carefully in order to avoid adverse effects. To maximise safety, both AFT and IPL power levels will function in single shot mode for greater control when treating the face. The facial adaptor includes a pressure sensor, the treatment window must be in good contact with the skin otherwise the device will not flash. Start the treatment on level 1 and increase only if the treatment is comfortable.
The facial cartridge is available to buy separately, it is recommended that you use this when performing facial treatment as it is specially designed to fit smaller areas such as the top lip.
Fitting the Homedics Duo facial adaptor (*sold separately)
The facial adaptor attaches to the product in the same way as the standard cartridge.
- Do not use the device on the face above the cheek line, around the eyes, eyebrows or eyelashes as this could cause serious eye damage.
- Protective goggles are included with the facial cartridge (sold separately). These should be worn to decrease discomfort when treating near the eyes.
- Do not use the device to treat hair growth in the nose and ears (see page 4).
- Make sure you do a Spot Test 48 hours prior to treatment. The Spot test should be done in a hair-free area such as below the ear or the side of the neck to determine the energy level.
- Do not treat the tested area for at least 1 week after the spot test is done
- Use a mirror to help you place the applicator correctly on the treatment area.
- Follow the instructions for use (see page 5) with additional care to the following specific area instructions. Note: Facial Hair may be hormonal and as such, it can take more sessions to achieve a permanent hair reduction.
Upper Lip Treatment with Homedics Duo
Place the Applicator treatment area as indicated in the picture. Repeat up to 5 times on each area.
Avoid the nostrils and lip, as these areas are more sensitive. If necessary mask the lips with a sheet of paper.
You can “fold” your lip inward or press the lips together to achieve a better spread treatment area.
Cheek and Jaw treatment with Homedics Duo
Place the Applicator treatment area as indicated in the picture. Treat each area up to 5 times, moving from one side of the jaw/cheek to the other.
Neck and chin treatments with Homedics Duo
Place the Applicator treatment area as indicated in the picture. Treat each area up to 5 times, moving from one side of the neck/chin to the other.
Note: The skin on lower third of the neck is more sensitive.
For Male users of Homedics Duo
It is not recommend to use the product for facial treatment as this may change the facial characteristics and result in a feminine look.
Note: Premature ageing characteristics can emerge due to complete loss of facial hair of men.
Post treatment care for facial treatment
Apply a calming lotion such as Aloe Vera.
Avoid using peeling and bleaching creams or products for at least 24 hours as this irritates the treated skin. Avoid more than 15 minutes of direct sun exposure for at least 2 weeks post treatment. If recently treated skin is exposed to sunlight in this time period, make sure to apply SPF 30 or higher sunscreen.
Do not wax or pluck hairs from treated areas.
Remember! It may take up to 2 weeks for the hair to grow and fall out.
Skin/Hair Type Suitability
Long Term Hair Reduction – Hair Growth Cycle
Two factors play an important role in optimal long-term hair reduction:
- Hair growth cycle (Anagen, Catagen and Telogen). Anagen is the growth phase while Catagen and Telogen are the resting phases. Permanent hair reduction can only occur during the Anagen phase.
- Skin type (according to Fitzpatrick scale). Darker skin contains more melanin, which competes with the targeted hair for energy light absorption. When more light energy is absorbed in the skin there is more risk of adverse effects and the epidermis may get damaged.
See inside back cover for skin type and hair colour table
Treatment with Homedics Duo is very effective in skin types 1 to 4. For skin type 5, more treatment will be required to achieve the desired results. This is because greater part of the energy delivered by the unit, will be absorbed by the skin. It is not recommended to treat skin type 6 because most of the energy would be absorbed by the skin causing irritation and other adverse effects. Different parts of the body will respond differently to treatment, areas with high density of hair follicles will generally require more treatments before hair reduction is noticeable e.g Underarms will need more treatments than the legs
As a guide:
- Darker hair will respond better to treatment
- Thick hair will see results more quickly
- The greater the contrast between the skin and hair colour (e.g pale skin, dark hair) the faster and better the response.
Homedics Duo Recommended treatment protocol:
With repeated treatments over time you can expect to see cumulative hair reduction. It is important to maintain the treatment schedule over the first 8-12 weeks followed by subsequent treatments as and when required. Previously dormant hair follicles may become active at any time (it is only possible to treat follicles in the growth phase). It is important to remember that results will vary with each individual and are not immediate, evaluate results after the 8-12 week treatment program is complete.
Duo gives you the power to fight unwanted hair growth delivering long term results for perfectly smooth skin.
Homedics Duo For body treatment
Treatment protocol depends on Skin-type/Level selection. Having determined the appropriate level according to the above chart and/or spot test, follow these recommendations.
Freeglide AFT - Levels 1, 2 and 3
Due to the lower energy levels treatments can be repeated up to twice a week on an on-going basis as required. Freeglide AFT mode provides a comfortable treatment even in the most sensitive areas and with darker skin tones. More regular treatment is required to achieve similar results to Single Shot mode
Single Shot IPL - Levels 4 and 5
Using higher levels of energy the sessions should be separated by a minimum of 2 weeks. Initially, it is recommended to treat every two weeks for 6 treatments and then complete top-up treatments as required with at least a two week interval. Single Shot IPL is a higher energy treatment, but can cause some discomfort as it exposes the skin to higher temperatures during treatment. It is not recommended to use single shot mode if you have skin type 5 – see skin tone chart on page 7.
The effect of the treatments will depend on skin type and hair colour, the results are cumulative. As you continue to perform more treatments you should notice less hair regrowth.
- Due to hormonal or other physiological changes dormant hair follicles may become active and new hairs can appear – maintenance hair reduction sessions may be required from time to time.
What to expect when using Homedics Duo Epilator
- A flash of light – it will not harm the eyes when the applicator is applied with full contact to the skin, on the recommended treatment areas, but avoid looking directly at the flash.
- Fan noise – Lower than that of a hair dryer.
- A pop noise with each pulse – whenever a pulse is activated.
- A sensation of warmth – from the light energy after each pulse.
- A mild stinging sensation - similar to that of being snapped with a rubber band.
For facial treatment (with facial attachments *available separately)
Treatment protocol depends on Skin-type/Level selection. Having determined the appropriate level according to the above chart and/or spot test, adhere to following recommendations. Follow the same procedure as detailed above; take care not to treat moles or the lips. Use white eyeliner or a piece of paper to protect delicate areas as necessary.
POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS of Homedics Duo
CLEANING AND MAINTENANCE OF YOUR HOMEDICS DUO DEVICE
Make sure to turn off and unplug unit before cleaning.
It is recommended that the applicator head cover be cleaned after every session by using a dry, clean cloth to gently wipe the device.
Keep the device dry, Never submerge the device or any of its parts in water.
The Replaceable Cartridge of Homedics Duo
The cartridge supplied with the product will last up to 50,000 pulses
When the cartridge has expired the status indicator and skin level indicator lights will flash repeatedly. This indicates that the cartridge needs replacing. Replacement cartridges are available from www.homedicsduo.com.
The Facial Cartridge (sold separately)
The cartridge will last up to 10,000 pulses. When the cartridge has expired the status indicator and skin level indicator lights will flash repeatedly. This indicates that the cartridge needs replacing. Replacement cartridges are available from www.homedicsduo.com
To replace the cartridge:
- Turn off the Homedics Duo device and then unplug from the Power outlet.
- Firmly grasp the used cartridge on both sides and pull out in an even and smooth motion. Do not pull out with force. Discard the used cartridge (see page 3).
- Remove all packaging from the new cartridge and insert it into place.
Do not pull out the used cartridge before turning off and then unplugging the device!
Note: If you experience any problems with the device, please refer to below information to try to resolve it.
If the Homedics Duo does not trigger a pulse
- Make sure that the power cord is plugged properly into the handset and the electrical outlet.
- Verify there is full contact with the skin. The pulse button will activate a flash pulse only when the applicator is in full contact with the skin.
- In case the cartridge is not properly connected the indicator and level lights will flash simultaneously.
- If the indicator and level lights are flashing simultaneously and the cartridge is properly connected to the unit, this indicates that the cartridge needs replacing.
FAQ’s about Homedics Duo
Does AFT/IPL actually work?
Yes, these technologies are proven to achieve long-term hair reduction results. The use of light energy has been well documented for over 17 years in professional journals and by well-respected institutions.
Which body areas can Homedics Duo be used on?
Homedics Duo is designed to remove hair everywhere below the cheek line with the most commonly treated areas being the legs, underarms, arms and bikini line. Men should not use the device for facial treatment.
Is Homedics Duo safe for use?
Homedics Duo has been tested and approved by dermatologists and physicians to meet the European safety standards for a home use device. This electronic device must be used according to the instructions for use and user precautions.
What effect does Homedics Duo have on different coloured hair?
Homedics Duo works best on dark hair or hair that contains more melanin. Brown and light brown hair will respond but typically will require more treatment sessions. Red hair may show some response. White, grey or blond hair show limited response. Nevertheless, some users have noted hair reduction after multiple treatment sessions.
Does it hurt to use the device?
Some users may experience discomfort (when dealing with thicker and darker hair) but this discomfort diminishes once the session is completed. When correctly used most users feel a slight mild
stinging or/and heat sensation at the time of the pulse light similar to that of snapping an elastic band.
When are results from Homedics Duo achieved?
Results are not immediate, typically after two weeks many of the hairs in the treated area will simply fall out. As the hair grows in three different stages and only hairs in the active growth phase will be affected, multiple sessions are required to achieve the desired result. Results are cumulative; as you continue your treatment programme you will notice less and less hair regrowth.
Will my hair grow back after a treatment?
It is not possible to successfully treat all hair follicles successfully in a single treatment. The results are cumulative and you will notice an improvement in the results the more treatments you complete.
Successfully disabling hair follicles is dependent on the growth phase at the time of treatment, so a number of treatments over a period of time yield the most effective cumulative results. Follow the initial course of treatments until the end and top-up as often as necessary.
How long after sun exposure can Homedics Duo be used?
It is recommended to wait four weeks after unprotected sun exposure. Tanned skin contains more Melanin that can increase the risk for adverse effects.
Should I pull the hair out as part of or after the treatment sessions?
No. within 3 weeks the hair will naturally and gradually fall out. Not all the hairs are affected by one treatment because of the hair growth cycle and multiple treatments are required to reach the desired result.
Is long term use of the device dangerous for my skin?
The use of light and laser energy has been well documented for over 17 years. No side-effects or damage from long term use has been reported during that time.
Can Homedics Duo be used to remove facial hair such as chin hair?
Yes, the device may be used below the cheek line, on the upper lip, cheek, jaw, chin and neck. Do not use the device near your eyes! Men should not use the device for facial treatment.
Can men use Homedics Duo?
Yes, IPL/AFT is suitable for men; however men should not use the device for facial treatment. Male body hair, especially on the chest will generally require more hair reduction sessions.
How do I get more Homedics Duo cartridges?
You can buy online more cartridges.
Emitted Light Spectrum: 480nm~1200nm Max.
Emitted Energy Flux: 5 [Joules/cm²]
Selectable Energy Levels: 5 levels
Treatment Area (regular window): 3 [cm²] Max
pulses in lamp: up to 50,000
Power Supply: 100-240 VAC, 50-60Hz
Technology: Home use IPL and AFT
TWO YEAR GUARANTEE
HoMedics guarantees this product from defect in material and workmanship for a period of 2 years from the date of purchase, except as noted below. This HoMedics product guarantee does not cover damage caused by misuse or abuse; accident; the attachment of any unauthorised accessory; alteration to the product; or any other conditions whatsoever that are beyond the control of HoMedics.
To obtain guarantee service on your product, return the product post-paid to the HoMedics Service Centre. Upon receipt, HoMedics will repair or replace, as appropriate, your product and return it to you, post-paid.
Guarantee is solely through HoMedics Service Centre. Service of this product by anyone other than the HoMedics Service Centre voids the guarantee. This guarantee does not affect your statutory rights.